The Loveland Rural Fire Protection District was formed in 1950. The Rural District surrounds the City of Loveland and covers approximately 194 square miles consisting of rural, foothill and mountain properties as well as urban commercial and residential properties. The boundaries of the Rural District are generally Larimer County Road 32 to the north, Drake area to the west, Southeast 48th Street to the south, and Larimer/Weld County line to the east.
Since 1950, the Rural District has relied upon its contractual relationship with the City of Loveland through the Loveland Fire & Rescue Department (through 2011), and the volunteers of the Big Thompson Canyon Volunteer Fire Department to provide for fire and emergency services within the Rural District.
2012 Changes: The Rural District and the Loveland Fire Safety Authority
Effective January 1, 2012, the City of Loveland and the Loveland Rural Fire Protection District entered into an Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) establishing the Loveland Fire Rescue Authority. The Loveland Fire Rescue Authority is governed by a board of directors of five individuals, two appointed Loveland City Council members, the Loveland City Manager, and two Rural District Board of Director members.
The Fire Authority is responsible for all emergency services within the boundaries of the Loveland Rural Fire Protection District and the City of Loveland. Effective January 1, 2012, the City of Loveland assigned the Loveland Fire & Rescue Department personnel, leased its fire stations, apparatus and equipment to the Fire Authority, and the Rural District leased its apparatus and equipment to the Fire Authority. Emergency operations of the Fire Authority within the Rural District remain similar to those operations of the Loveland Fire & Rescue Department prior to January 1, 2012.
Funding for the Fire Authority comes from both the City of Loveland and the Rural District, with the city being responsible for 82% of annual expenses, and the Rural District responsible for 18% of annual expenses. Pursuant to the IGA, the Rural District remains responsible for the funding and operations of the Big Thompson Canyon Volunteer Fire Department including pension obligations, stations, equipment and apparatus. Additionally, all equipment and apparatus used by The Big Thompson Canyon Fire Department is owned by the Rural District.
In 2005, Station 8 was constructed by the Rural District to provide an operational base for the Canyon Fire Department. The Rural District also maintains two separate unmanned fire stations in the Cedar Park and Cedar Cove areas of the Big Thompson Canyon. Those two stations house Rural District Apparatus
To watch an overview of the 2012 Loveland Fire Rescue Authority, go to:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_DamQIa6q0.
For more information about the Loveland Fire Safety Authority, go to: